These instructions are a brief guide for installing a SimplyVAV controller onto a VAV terminal unit and configuring it with an STE-8001 sensor. For more detailed instructions or details not covered in the following procedures, see the SimplyVAV Applications and Installation Guide in Resources.
- Align the damper and drive hub
- Manually rotate the damper on the VAV box to the fully open position.
- Press the gear clutch button and rotate the drive hub in the same direction that opened the damper.
- Turn the hub until it reaches a stop.
- Mount the controller on the VAV box.
- Place the controller over the damper shaft.
- Finger tighten the nuts on the V-bolt to position the shaft in the drive hub.
- Center the mounting bushing in the mounting tab and fasten it with a #8 sheet metal screw. Evenly tighten the V-bolt nuts on the drive hub to 30-35 in-lbs.
- Connect a SimplyVAV sensor to the controller with a standard Ethernet cable. Plug the controller end of the cable into the T’stat connector.
- Connect the airflow sensor on the VAV box to the airflow ports on the controller. Use 0.25 in. FR tubing.
- Connect auxiliary equipment (optional)
- Other VAV equipment such as fans, heaters, reheat valves, and discharge air temperature sensors connect at the green terminals.
- If the controller is part of a BACnet network, wire it to the gray MS/TP network terminals.
- Connect the controller to a 24 volt, Class 2 transformer at the black power terminals. As soon as power is connected, the controller begins operation.
Use an STE-8001 or STE-8201 sensor to configure the SimplyVAV controller. If another type of sensor is installed as the room sensor, temporarily connect an STE-8001 as a service tool. To set up the configuration functions, you will need the following items and information.
- Temperature and airflow limits for the VAV terminal unit
- If applicable, the type of fans and reheat connected to the VAV unit.
- An STE-8001 or STE-8201 to use as a configuration tool.
To get started with set up :
- Start configuration by pressing and holding the UP and DOWN arrow buttons at the same time.
- If Password 2 is not required, the display changes to the CNFG for configuration.
- If required, enter Password 2. The display changes to CNFG when Password 2 is correct.
- From the configuration display, advance to the configuration functions by pressing the SETPOINT button. The display changes to STPT.
- Press the SETPOINT button to advance to the first setpoint. The first setpoint is MIN, for minimum cooling setpoint. The value is flashing which indicates the controller is ready for a new value.
- Change the MIN setpoint by pushing the UP or DOWN buttons. To save the new value when the value is correct. The controller then saves the new value and automatically advances to MAX, the maximum heating setpoint.
- Press the UP or DOWN buttons to change the MAX value and push the SETPOINT button to save the value and advance to the next display.
- Once the controller has moved through all of the setpoint values, it returns to the SETPOINT display. Choose a new function, such as BOX, FLOW, ADVD, or RSTR with the arrow buttons. You can also choose BACK, or EXIT.
A description of the of the five configuration functions follow.
Setpoints—The system temperature setpoints set the operational parameters and limits for the VAV terminal unit. The temperature setpoints include the following items.
- Minimum cooling and maximum heating setpoints
- Occupied and unoccupied cooling setpoints
- Occupied and unoccupied heating setpoints
- Changeover differential setpoint
- Standby differential setpoint
Box—The box options set the controller for the specific mechanical installation of the VAV terminal unit. The box options include the following items.
- K-factor for the VAV terminal unit
- Reheat configuration (optional)
- Fan configuration (optional)
- Direction of damper to close
Flow—The airflow setpoints set the airflow limits for the VAV terminal unit.
- Airflow heating and cooling minimum and maximum limits
- Auxiliary flow setpoint (optional)
- Minimum and maximum fan speeds (optional)
Advanced (ADVD)—The advanced options set up passwords and special features in the controller.
- Establish or change Password 1 and Password 2
- Set timers for standby and override (optional)
- Enable automatic occupancy (optional)
- Enable discharge air temperature control (optional)
- Calibrate the sensor
Restore (RSTR)—Choose the RSTR function to reset the controller to the original configuration and settings. Use it also to change the units of measure to display on a sensor. There are two versions of the application program The Metric version displays temperature in Celsius and uses metric values for units of measure.
- The Metric version displays temperature in Celsius and uses metric values for units of measure.
- The English version displays temperature in Fahrenheit and uses English values for units of measure.in the controller.
Changing room setpoints
Room setpoints are changed using the buttons and display on the front of the SimplyVAV digital wall sensor.
- Press any button to begin changing setpoints.
- If required, enter Password. New installations do not have a password.
- When the display advances to the cooling setpoint, press the UP or DOWN button to change the cooling setpoint.
- Press the setpoint button to save the cooling setpoint and advance to the heating setpoint.
- Press the button to save the value or advance to the next function.
- When the display advances to the heating setpoint, press the UP or DOWN button to change the heating setpoint.
- Press the SETPOINT button to save the heating setpoint and return to the temperature display.